Maintenance of Lifeboat:
Where all this requirement is mentioned?? In SOLAS Ch 3
- Moved from the stowed position
- Engine tested for 3 min
- Visual Inspection of lifeboat, equipment and davit.
- Lowered till one meter above water level;
- Inventory and Inspection of Life Boat equipment;
- Engine test.
- Manoeuvre in water;
- Sprinkler system checked;
- Engine try out at full speed.
Life Boat Equipment:
- Buoyant Oars
- 2 Boat Hooks
- 1 Bailer and 2 Buckets
- Survival manual
- Operational Compass
- 1 Sea anchor
- 2 Painters, Length to be twice the distance from the stowage position to the waterline or 15m whichever is greater
- 2 Hatchets
- Watertight containers for 3 Liter of water per person
- 1 rust proof dipper with lanyard
- 1 rustproof graduated drinking vessel
- food ration of 10,000 KJ per person
- Six Hand Flares
- Four Rocket Parachute
- Two Smoke
- 1 Waterproof electric torch for morse signalling
- 1, Day signalling mirror.
- 1, copy of life-saving signals
- 1 Whistle or equivalent sound signalling device
- 1 first aid kit in a waterproof case
- Anti-Seasickness tablets for everyone to last for 48 hrs
- 1 Sea-sickness bag per person
- 1 jack-knife with a lanyard
- 3 tin openers
- 2 buoyant rescue quoits with a 30-meter line.
- 1 bilge pump
- 1 fishing tackle
- Engine tool kit
- 1 Portable fire extinguisher for oil fires.
- 1 Searchlight, Horizontal and vertical sector of 6 deg. The luminosity of 2500 cd, Min run time 3 hrs.
- 1 Radar reflector
- TPA – 2 or 10% of the compliment whichever is greater.
Marking on Lifeboat:
- Number of Persons, Name of Ship, Port of Registry.
- Visible from Top – Ship identification(Name, Flag, Call Sign) and lifeboat number.
- Fix plate: Manufacturer name, address, Model and serial number, Month/Year of manufacture, Capacity, Approval information.
REQUIREMENT FOR CARRIAGE OF LIFE JACKETS:
- Adults – 125% of the capacity (min 4)
- Small jackets/infants – 100% of the capacity (min 2)
REQUIREMENT FOR CARRIAGE OF LIFEBUOYS:
- Under 100m – 8
- 100m to under 150m – 10
- 150m to under 200m – 12
- 200m and above – 14
- Outer diameter – not > 800mm
- Inner diameter – not < 400mm
- 50% with self-igniting lights
- 2 with 27.5m of buoyant line
- 2 with light/smoke float capable of quick release
- The diameter of the grab line – not < 9.5mm
- Capable of being dropped from a height of 30m without sustaining damage
- Line if fitted must be of 27.5m in length
- The light must have an intensity of 2 candela and if flashing than 50 flashes per minute
- Should be at least 2.5kgs by weight
MONTHLY CHECKS TO BE CARRIED ON SCBA:
- Visual inspection (visor, straps, demand valve, hoses harness and lifeline)
- Check pressure for SCBA bottles
- Check low level whistle alarm
- Carry out leak test
LSA Equipments Service and Renewal Period:
Equipment Service/Renewal Time Inflatable life jackets Inflated every 6 months, cylinder renewed Liferaft Service Every Year Lifejackets (DTi approved) Serviced Every Year Life Jacket Light Serviced Every Year EPIRB Serviced Every Year SART Serviced Every Year HRU Renewed every two years Red Parachute Flares (Rockets) Renewed every three years Hand Flares (Red) Renewed every three years Smoke / Light Markers Renewed every three years Speedlines Renewed every three years SART Lithium Battery changed every FOUR Years EPIRB Lithium Battery changed every FIVE years
Life-Saving Appliances on the Last vessel? (General List)
- Lifeboat, Rescue Boat, Life raft, Lifebuoy, Life Jacket
- TPA, Immersion suit, Anti-exposure suit
- EEBD, SCBA
- LTA (Line Throwing Appliances)
- General Alarm, PA System
- EPIRB, SART, Two-way GMDSS Radio (VHF)
- Pyrotechnic (Rocket Smoke Flare)