(ISM) – International Safety Management Code.
- The ISM Code is an international standard for the safe management and operation of ships and for pollution prevention.
- Adopted by IMO & came in force through SOLAS Ch IX “Management for the safe operation of Ships”
- Mandatory for all passenger ship and other vessels of 500 GT and above.
- It requires companies to have SMS which contains a clear procedure, standards and instructions for ship and ashore office.
It ensures that Seafarers working onboard ships are safe, Damage to property and Pollution to the environment is avoided.
- It set min international standard required for the safe management and operation of ships and for pollution prevention. (In other words – Culture of self-regulation of safety and pollution prevention in shipping)
- It’s a framework upon which a company develop its own “Safety Management System”.
Safety Management System(SMS):
Valid for 12 months, Issued to New company or new ships added in existing DOC.
Valid for 6 months, Internal audit after 3 months of SMS implement, Issued to New Delivery Ship, New Management or when a vessel Change of flag
Not exceeding 5 years and Subject to annual verification, within 3months before or after the anniversary date. (ISM code 13.2 & 13.4, page 21)
Not exceed 5 years. One intermediate verification.
(The issue of a DOC and SMC will be preceded by an external audit of the Safety Management System.)
Designated Person Ashore (DPA): (its ISM requirement to have DPA)
- A Link between the company, its management and ship for fast response in an emergency
- Responsible to keep SMS up-to-date with the latest regulations for the smooth operation of a ship
- Contact details posted in Smoking, Mess room, so each crew have his contact details.
Masters Responsibility: To Implement, Motivate, Review
What is the role of the Safety Officer?
– Ensure a safe working culture – Carry out safety meetings – Investigate Near Misses, Incidents and Accidents – Risk Assessments – Workplace Inspections (Every 3 months)
ISM related Orals Questions:
- What is the ISM code? Tell me about the ISM code?
- Which SOLAS Chapter deal with ISM?
- What is DOC, SMC, DPA, NC in ISM?
- What are the objectives of the ISM code?
- What are the principles of ISM?
- How does ISM help you as an officer onboard?
- what certificates required by ship?
- Cert to carry onboard ship and with a company? What certificates are required under SMS?
- The validity of Certificates?
- Where would you find information on how to conduct a Navigational Watch?
- SMS regarding 3rd Officer? How does it effect 3/0?
- How ISM was implemented on your last ship?
- How do companies implement it?
- You have joined the ship as a 3rd officer, how do you consult ISM?
- What are the SIX important points of ISM?
- What has to be in an SMS?
- What is PMS? What information do you get in PMS?